Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sauerbraten Night, Or How I Gained the Linz 11

Grutten Gott!

Okay, so in the last post I mentioned a couple receptions that we went to, and then last night we all trucked over to a local restaurant called Johann's. I love this place! I had already been there once and I actually went there for dinner tonight, but last night it was ridiculous. Sauerbraten, I believe, refers to the pork and the cabbages. The pork was fried and had a delicious crust and was served with cabbage, potatoes, dumplings and gravy. The food tasted great, but it was so dense and heavy. I don't know how much more I can take; however, it's free, so I should stop complaining.

Anyway, tomorrow we leave for Budapest and I am looking for to it, except for leaving at 6am for a 6 hour bus ride. However, I know plenty of songs and the entire Sound of Music soundtrack, so I think the time will fly right by.

The weather is still nice and warm, unfortunately I have to keep my window shut because I have been infested with little gnats, or some such insect. They're more annoying than anything else and I just keep a napkin at my desk so I can kill one whenever they come by. The worst is at night when I have my reading lamp on. Oh well, so it goes; it's just too bad that the city isn't familiar with air conditioning.

Other than that things are going well, I'm still getting questioning looks from the locals whenever I try to communicate in German, probably because I want to use a Latin accent whenever I see a word that I'm unfamiliar with, so I might just have it give it up. As long as I can keep asking "Sprechen sie Englisch?" I think I'll be okay.

Hope everyone is doing well, auf wiedersehen!

No comments: